Thursday, September 28, 2006

Friday's Feast One Hundred and Thirteen


Feed your mind
with thought-provoking,
mind-stimulating questions…

visit Friday's Feast:

a buffet for your brain.



Appetizer

What is your favorite herb or spice?
Coming into fall, my first thought is of cinnamon and clove for hot cider. Aside from that, we use a dry rub on most everything we grill that is simple, but to die for - salt, paprika, pepper, and brown sugar. I'm also considering a venture into the world of pesto, so that would be basil.

Soup
Name a song you like but haven't heard in a long time.
Right in Time by Lucinda Williams from Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. The best Lucinda is the old stuff.

Salad
If you were to take just one minute to write down as many things as you can think of that you need (not want) to do, approximately how many things would there be?
Three. Maybe. My needs are not great!

Main Course
Tell something interesting about one of your family members (nothing scandalous, please, just something unique).
My son-in-law was a founding player of the improv group Rice Pilaf during his days at Taylor University. He is a wonderful addition to our family. Between he and willi, there is never a dull moment at our dinner table.

Dessert
What's the latest you've ever stayed awake?
Back in the day I would pull all-nighters. Those days are long gone. Now I'm lucky to stay up past 10:00 and still make it up at 5:30 for work. It's hell to get old, but I'll take it any day considering the alternative!

20 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

That was great. I like Lucinda Williams too.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

you really arn't a needy person are you? We really love to grill here too. We use the same things!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great feast! Welcome to the Friday Feasters.

I'm up too.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great job

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh . . . I forgot about cinnamon! I put some in our hot chocolates!

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm cloves and autumn, yum! Great feast, mines up too.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hot spices, love curries.
Any shakin stevens song they make me gringe used to love him when I was a kid.
I am not very needy just need lots of money LOL!!
Mum's nick name was oxo cause she once made my dad a cuppa and but oxo cubes in instead of tea.
I used to work night's and frequently stayed up sometimes 28hrs at a time.

1:18 AM  
Blogger katy said...

i not a needy person either, love the smell of cinnamon, have candles burning with the smell over xmas period.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Wystful1 said...

Mmmmmmmmm, hot mulled cider! Wow, now you got me wanting to rush out and buy some to heat up tonight.

Great 1st feast.
Happy Friday
Mine's posted

10:36 AM  
Blogger graymama said...

mmmmm.....hot cider :-)

Nice to see you add a meal to the feast!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome! I enjoyed your feast! Mmm, thats what I love about the fall season - cinnamon and cloves - ahhh!

Mine's served :)

2:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

> Now I'm lucky to stay up past 10:00

Me too. I'm starting to do that thing ny graddad used to do whenever he arrived anywhere, which was to keep asking what time he was going home.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe you only have 3 things. I have way too many, way too many.

Come dine with me.

Oh, and I love pesto. Yummy!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Ha,ha, I have peeked at this entry a couple of times and just noticed that an ant is holding up the three treats. Sorry to cheat but here are my answers to the same feast because I want to play too.

Appetizer: Saffron, nutmeg
Soup: If I Knew You Were Comin', I'd've Baked a Cake. A song that brings pleasant childhood memories.
Salad: I usually either eat small amounts of salad or pass altogether on the salad.
Main Course: Luke produced a cartoon strip that was published in the Exponent called "Void Where Prohibited" when he was a junior at Purdue.
Dessert: I may have been awake for 48 hours or so. I am not much of a sleeper.

6:53 PM  
Blogger M J said...

1. Thyme
2. Dude Looks Like a Lady
3. One. Pick up the laundry from the dryer in 45 mins.
4. My twin sister's died just after they were born. They would be 25 now.
5. 7 am.

7:37 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

mjd, you can play here anytime. I think I remember my mom singing that song to me!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

Who's your son-in-law? I went to Taylor during that time! I really did love Rice Pilaf.

By the way, I found you blog through a blog I regularly read--Diary of a Mad DC Cabbie.

10:50 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Peg, the dry rub recipe is 1/4 cup each of dark brown sugar, kosher salt, and paprika, and 2 tablespoons of pepper - we don't use this much pepper. We have never had a problem with the brown sugar burning on the grill. We use it on steak, pork and chicken. The recipe is from the BBQ University guy Steven Raichlen; the Beer Can Chicken book. Hard Cider! Funny!

9:35 AM  
Blogger gawilli said...

njc - see if you recognize my son-in-law at this link . Thanks for stopping by!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Appetizer: I love pepper..love it!!!

Soup: Time after Time: Cyndi LAuper.

Salad, too may to list here in this house!!!

Main Course: My son can make fart noises under his arm using his hand!! At 9yrs of age he thinks it is neat!

Dessert: I do night shift as a nurse and have done a double shift before

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home