Saturday, September 23, 2006

WWC and the morning papers.

Willi and I always start out our morning with coffee and the newspapers. This has become our ritual. Enough time is built into the waking hour so we can read, share, critique, complain and on occasion, do some editorializing of our own. Sometimes he reads an article to me, interjecting his own verbiage. On occasion he does it so well that I can't tell where the real article ends and he begins, that is until it becomes so outlandish even I, the gullible one, see through it. It's always interesting to compare the reporting via the political slants of the papers, the Times (R) and the Post Tribune (D). You almost have to read them both to get the whole story.

Most mornings I can manage to find some good news interspersed with the usual gloom and doom. If not good news, maybe something that will make me laugh, or at least giggle. For example, last week we followed the story of the power hungry mayor of a neighboring town who harassed the fire chief into resignation. The final straw came when the mayor found fault with, of all things, a sign at the fire station honoring the 9/11 volunteers. This fire chief, the fourth in five years, lasted three months. The town functions so much like Mayberry, you just have to laugh.

This morning's papers had no redeeming qualities, except of course for Opus. After reading about Indiana's high school dropout rate and overcrowding in the local jails, I moved on to the world news. A bombing in Iraq kills 38, mostly women and children in line at a gas station...well you get the picture.

Searching for something a little more light-hearted led me to the horoscopes. In my former life, pre-Willi, I read the horoscopes every morning. Times were not the best and every once in awhile they actually forecast something good or exciting - heaven knows, we all need that. On the other hand, anything that had the slightest possibility of preventing me from stepping in "it" was greatly appreciated. Mind you, I didn't plan my life around them but on some days I certainly ducked when told to. At any rate, today I found my giggle...
Sagittarius (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21):

The Times (R)
Neither too-big ideas nor a too-big mouth will serve you well now. Keep a low profile to avoid stirring up resentments - although you may think you have all the answers now, chances are you do not.

The Post Tribune (D)
You choose the right words and make a difference. You have some imaginative and intuitive thoughts. Try putting one or two into action. You might be delighted by the outcome.

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Objective and Value.

Objective

Value

A clean desktop: Friday 's objective and Monday 's value.

And finally, making mowing the lawn a valuable objective.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

So, I guess you should speak your mind, but be careful about it. And not if it's a big idea. Only small ones, I guess.

Mine told me to watch what I eat. Nag, nag, nag. LOL

Love your pics! All of them are great.

8:18 PM  
Blogger debi said...

I feel that all is right with my world after I see you have popped in. Is that some kind of co-dependent thing? hmm.
You have such a great way with words and I feel somehow enlightened after reading you posts. I enjoy reading you.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Good picks to match the pics.

I think that with a few revisions the Post-Tribune horoscope fits you all the time. You do choose the right words, and you do make a difference. You have many imaginative and intuitive thoughts. You are known for putting your thoughts into action. Others are delighted by the outcome.

9:39 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Great post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The pictures are perfect!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Great pictures! The second one is my favorite. There's nothing quite like holding tiny baby feet... Precious :)

4:17 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

The horoscopes made me giggle :-)

I just love all of your WWC pictures. I am happy you have joined the fun!

4:24 PM  
Blogger willi said...

I think you should follow the horoscope printed in the Post-Tribune unless you are telling me what I need to do. In the later situation I would prefer you follow the Times. I mean, I got football to watch.

Great pic of the dad mowing the lawn with his son. Still love the make levees not war.

I had a desk that looked like that one time. It was my first day at work in a new school. Ain't looked like that since.

6:45 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Jay, be careful about speaking my mind and keep the big ideas to myself. Got it. Thanks.

Debi, me too. What do you think about Blogger's anonymous?

mjd, glad you like the pics. WWC is fun. You know you could just join the WWC and not do any other posts if you wanted. Something to think about!

songbird, glad you stopped by! I'm on my way to your spot now.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Although it does seem like wonderful fun, Gawilli,there are two reasons that I cannot do the WWC.

1. I am too busy attending B.A. meetings.
2. At the moment, I am cameraless,

8:39 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Peggy, we would have a tough time in the morning without the papers. We are such news mongers...

Tink, the little baby is Ian. He is beautiful, just like him mommy.

graymama, willi and I are both really enjoying WWC. Horror-scopes are a hoot!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

I love the pic, "This Side Out"...way too cute.
I always like to read what you say. The idea of allocating time in the morning for your coffee and newspapers is an excellent one. Especially if both parties are morning people.
In keeping with the horoscopes, I remember this quote from Joe McGraw: "There are times in life when you don't want to miss a good opportunity to shut up."

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos! Thanks for saying.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Freakazojd said...

Jay, you kill me. Hahaha!
I love the photos you have to say the WWC words - perfection! Is there anything better than a baby's feet?! (That would be "No.") :)

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home