Sunday, October 08, 2006

WWC and a little more.

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words for this week are High and Low.

High and Mighty Oak

Low, but with great possibility!

High or low?
Originally this was to be my "High" picture. However, I decided that whether it is high or low is really relative. In the hands of some it is divisive, controlling and destructive. In the hands of others it is inclusive; an emblem of grace, social justice and peace. Which is it for you?

This crabby apple does not go gently into the fall!

Blog Blither - that pile of clippings left over from last week's papers.

It has become painfully apparent that there are many things I just was not aware of, pre-blogdom. I have often said that Google is my best friend, particularly when I see a phrase that mystifies me. That's right, I have no pride. If I don't know what it is, I'll probably tell you. Then I will look it up. Sometimes I'll ask my daughter. And then I will look it up anyway to see if she really knows. (We'll see if she's reading this...)

Today's Post Tribune led me to the Buzzword Dictionary.
All right, this could be a help! The definition of buzzword? Important sounding words or phrases primarily used to impress laymen. Here are a few more:

404: A derogatory term used to describe someone who is totally clueless...Comes from the pesky error message on computers: 404 Not Found. I guess that would be me.

Deja moo: The nagging feeling that you've heard this bull before. Cute. I'll have to remember this one.

Job Spill: When work cuts into your person time. At least there is a name for it now.

Verbicidal: Condition that exists when a person believes he or she is skilled in the use of words (a verbalist) but in reality is grammatically challenged. OK, I fessed up to the 404 thing so I'm not going to touch this one.

Dixie-Chicked: To be reviled or boycotted for voicing an unpopular political sentiment. My mother did teach me about polite company not discussing politics or religion. I try to refrain from this too awfully much. But sometimes I just can't help myself.

This is one of those times...Dixie-Chicked or not.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In Thursday's paper there were a few paragraphs about President Bush's statement that "when the final history is written on Iraq, it will look like just a comma." There was speculation regarding his intent and its origin; possibly Gracie Allen and/or Pat Robertson.

It was also reported in Thursday's paper that 27 year old Staff Sgt. Jonathan Rojas was shot by a sniper Tuesday in Baghdad. He was instructing other soldiers from the top of a tank when a sniper's bullet caught him in the back of the head. Staff Sgt. Rojas was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team. He was headed home two months ago, but agreed to stay longer, promising his family in Hammond (a few miles North of here) that he would be home in time for Christmas.

From the Times: "William Rojas said his brother Jonathan served as a role model to him, remaining in close touch with his family by calling at least once a week. He last spoke with his mother Friday. Born in Mexico, the Rojas brothers joined their family in Hammond in 1990, when Jonathan was 11 and William 7. They knew no English then but quickly adapted to life in Hammond, with Jonathan playing soccer and baseball in school. William Rojas said his brother attended PUC for a year and worked at a glass company before deciding to enlist in 1999. Jonathan Rojas met his wife, Tasha Lynn, while stationed in Fort Benning, Ga. The couple were living on base in Alaska when Jonathan Rojas was assigned to serve in Iraq. They would have been married four years on Oct. 25."

Jonathan Rojas is the 66th person from Indiana to be killed in Iraq. As of this post, more than 22,000 have been seriously injured or killed in this war. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Blind faith in bad leaders is not patriotism."

A comma to some is a period to others.

Amen and Amen.

18 Comments:

Blogger willi said...

Nice pics, but the real deal is the commentary on Bush's comma. How can a man send so many to war and continue to do so all the while calling the effort a comma in history. If it is so not damn important maybe we should come home. Bush is an idiot. Rojas is a hero.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Ah ha, I get to be the first to comment. I love your high and low pictures especially the low photo with the acorn.

I think that you may have experienced some job spill this year.

Your quote is profound, "Blind faith in bad leaders is not patriotism." It seems to me that some believe patriotism is about war and the military. You may have heard this qoute from the 60's, "My country right or wrong," or this one. "America love it or leave it." I like to think that pacifists can be patriots too.

Oops, so willi types faster than me.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

And, Willi is right, "Rojas is a hero."

10:24 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Wow, lots here today. Love the pics, especially the tree.

It really upsets me that cavalier way in which Bush talks about this war. I really don't think he give a crap about anyone who has been killed or wounded.

10:31 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Willi - agreed that this boy is a hero and that Bush is, well...

Mjd - You got the job spill part right, but it was by choice. I have to remind myself that! I believe that pacifists can be patriots - at least this one can.

Jay - Sometimes I really wonder if Bush knows what he saying; some of it just seems so off the wall - too silly to be real. Sad.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Difference is not much between HIGH or LOW....same as "Is the glass half full or half empty?"
I love the pictures :)
22,000 is such an awfuly big number, big number of people and families affected by this horrific war :(

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Rojas is a hero...but I'm pretty sure his family would give anything if he weren't...

People don't really seem to know what patriotism is. I saw a huge flag at the pumpkin patch...it was like an advertisment of some sort.

I love your oak and acorn words.

10:25 AM  
Blogger graymama said...

I LOVE your HIGH photo! It reminds me of when Tigger and Roo bounce up the tree, but have trouble coming down. Buddy loves that story :-)

As for the church, for me controlling comes to mind, but my sister's parish would probably lean towards emblem of grace, etc...

In my family, I am most definitely Dixie Chicked!

As for Bush, well I agree with what others have said. This quote always lingers in my brain

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”--Mark Twain

10:38 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Not much time to read the post but wanted to take a few seconds to knock on your door to say hello and thank you for always stopping by.

4:30 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

I love the pictures. And I echo your amens. I've been seeing that same bumper sticker in Arkansas.

9:19 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Cazzie - You are right. It is a horrific war.

Susan, There was a picture in the paper of his mom and aunt. I'm sure they would rather he be home than a hero. Glad you like the acorn and oak words - getting close to raking time!

Graymama - Tigger and Roo! Great thought! I love your Mark Twain quote - definitely words to remember. I think we all want to support our country.

Songbird, I really hope there is a resounding AMEN come voting time.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deja Moo! I seriously cannot wait to use that.

Bring on the cows!

10:44 PM  
Blogger debi said...

The story of Jonathan Rojas is so very sad. As parents we all can only imagine the terrible heartbreak this family is going through. I live in a very military town and it seems to be considered a crime to be against the war.It's too bad that the Congo has nothing we want that badly, those poor people really do need help.The report by Anderson Cooper the other night tore my heart out.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

A comma?! Easy for him to say. He wouldn't dare send HIS family out there. I hate Bush. I hate everything he stands for.

LOVELY pictures! I especially love the one of the tree. I have a great fondness for oaks. There was one down the street I used to hide in as a kid whenever I was sad or angry at the world.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The high and low pictures are very nice! Thanks for playing.

9:37 AM  
Blogger katy said...

love the photos and as for deja moo that is a classic thanks

12:42 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

amen...and peace everlasting...period.

6:51 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

The response to this post has been wonderful. Thank you all.

Debi, as always - good to hear from you. Your point about the Congo is well taken. There are so many areas that could use our attention in humanitarian efforts.

Mj and her indors - deja moo is a classic - we used to say veja doo, but this is much better.

Tink, I've always likened oak trees to strength. I can picture Tink in an oak tree.

dilling - peace is something I think we have lost sight of as a goal. You are right - that should be our "period".

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home