Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It's a wrap...

We've said so-long to 2006 and packed away Christmas. Tomorrow is a workday; just three this week. And that's a good thing. I've been staring at this computer for well over an hour now, and I still got nuthin. So here are some random thoughts...

The winner in the gift department this year came from Willi's secretary. And what a winner it was! Everyone that came through the door had to try the Marshmallow Shooter. And what happens to the spent ammo? Just ask the dog! Cali was the unexpected beneficiary of the gift that kept on giving. Wish that we could replace all of the deadly ammunitions with marshmallows...

According to the Associated Press, on New Year's Eve the death of Texas soldier Army Spc. Dustin R. Donica, 22, raised the number of U.S. military deaths in Iraq to at least 3,000 since March of 2003. In November when I made this post, the number was 2820. December has been the deadliest month of the last twelve. The A.P. article went on to say that the Bush administration is seeking to "overhaul its strategy for a unpopular conflict that shows little sign of abating." Overhaul indeed.
- - - - - - - - - -
Sometime over the holiday this opinion piece about Hillary Clinton, by Dick Morris and Eileen McGann entitled "Hillary's New Strategy: The Mom President" ran in our local paper. To summarize: because of her initial support of the war in Iraq she now finds herself backpeddling for voters, and what better way than to play the "mom card".

In today's Post Tribune, this article ran about Indiana Senator Anita Bowser. At 86 years old, this Democrat from Michigan City is heading back to begin her 27th year in Indianapolis. According to the article, "Her peers call her the conscience of the Indiana Senate." She's a pretty tough old bird and I like her. Hillary pales in contrast. Am I asking too much?
- - - - - - - - - -
This is my new favorite children's book. I told you these were random thoughts.

Is There Really a Human Race? by Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell. I bought it for the third time today. It begins with questions about the race; when will it start? In the end we learn that it is the journey and what we do while we are on it that is important. My favorite passage is, "So, take what's inside you and make big, bold choices. And for those who can't speak for themselves, use bold voices."
- - - - - - - - - -
Here is to 2007. I resolve that Father Christmas next finds us at peace and with goodwill toward our brothers.
___________________________________________

In a Nutshell

A place set aside to answer
201 autobiographical questions

from a mother for her daughter.

This may take awhile...
join us if you like.


2. If I had any trouble with mom growing up, it was in this area: My mom was 40 when I was born. I hit puberty just about the same time she hit menopause. She was driven to perfection and I was tinkering with non-compliance. We were a train wreck waiting to happen. Need I say more?

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love all of these random thoughts!

First, the marshmallow shooter. What a score that would be on a dark and late night to bean people with who stand outside our apartment building and talk too loud! pppp-ting! "Hey! Was that a marshmallow?" LOL

War = bad. Can't it just be over? *sigh*

That book looks wonderful. I've admired Jamie Lee Curtis for some time but she totally had me when she posed for a magazine without make-up and/or air-brushing, ON PURPOSE. What a woman.

I like the thoughts on your Mom. Mine was only 22 when I was born but has always been a bit of a "little old lady" (i.e., she's sometimes rather prim and buttoned-up). Our relationship could also fit your description. Interesting...

Happy 2007!

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you said random, you weren't joking!

Marshmallow shooter? Oh jeez...NOBODY tell my husband it exists. Please!

Jamie Lee seems to be an amazing woman. We should all have story time with her book and the war mongers and then everything should be all better. Sigh...I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Where's the first question? Should I be asking my mom about them? The timing you had was interesting...I'm glad it all worked out well in the end.

It always amazed my friends that I didn't hate my mom when I was a teen. In fact, I still like her...

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A marshmallow shooter? How could this exist without my knowing about it? What a mess that could make. What fun!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the marshmallow shooter, as long as it's yours. lol

4:57 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

Too bad Golden doesn't like marshmallows :-P

Speaking of political women that are tough birds, I just watched Iron Jawed Angels again over the holiday. It is a film that everyone should take the time to see, especially women.

Yet another wonderful children's book :-) I have a post coming about Buddy's new favorites at story time. Thanks for touching his life as well as mine!

I was born when my Mother was 33. Five years later she had a hysterectomy due to a tumor. She was on hormone pills during my adolescence. It was an adventure!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

5:13 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Ch3ll3, glad you see some validity in the random thoughts! That seems to be all I can pull together these days as the part of my life I get paid for has reached maximum density. This too shall pass!

The urban wars in our own country are equally as bad. A 16 year old honor student was shot to death in Gary last Saturday by a 17 year old passenger in the car. It was 4:00 a.m. She was the 51st homocide victim in Gary in 2006. What in the heck is up with that?

Go Jamie Lee - didn't know that about her.

Susan, The first question was in the "Joy of Reading" post, December 17. I slacked a little so there were a few posts without one. They are from a book that my daughter gave me a few years ago. At her suggestion, I am tackling them one at a time. There were times when my mom and I didn't particularly like each other, but we always loved each other. I think that is ok.

Jay! No mess at all if you have a dog that loves marshmallows! Ours will follow you all over the house if you have it in your hand! Now if you have more than one shooter that could be an issue!

Betty - it was great fun over the holidays! I didn't shoot it, but enjoyed all the giggles from everyone else.

Graymama, We had no idea Cali liked marshmallows. In fact she ran from them at first! I will have to check out that movie. From your link it looks interesting.

I'm anxious to hear about Buddy's favorite stories. Maybe some new ones are in there for gawilli to read! And, thank you for your kind words. The feeling is mutual!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

The marshmallow shooter reminds of a Viet Nam protest that my mother attended while she was in college. (She started taking college classes about the same that I did.) In this event, the protesters threw marshmallows at the building, which in my mind, is better than burning buildings or pouring human blood on draft cards.

I am going to look for the book...what a great quote.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

A marshmallow shooter! *Happy squeal* That's got to be one of the best presents ever.

3:38 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

mjd - the Viet Nam protest you speak of reminds me of the picture of the daisy in the muzzle of the gun. Those were awful times.

You will love the book. I found it at Meijer's, but I think I bought all of their copies. I gave two away at Christmas.

Tink - it will surely be in the Christmas gift hall of fame!

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great random thoughts. I will definitely be getting a copy of the children's book. Sounds like something I can incorporate in my elementary music classes.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a marshmallow shooter!

1:14 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Marshmallow shooter ... why yes. It works within the concept of Boyle's Law. Good stuff. Pressure times Volume = constant. Of course, the constant turns out to be nRT.

Constants are a very big deal everywhere. People need to know what is going on. Otherwise, one has less than the best operational production within the whole scale of life's actions.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what fun could i have with that marshmallow shooter!

great post thanks x

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Santa is beautiful. What's the name of that book? Those questions are interesting.

5:11 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Songbird, I think this would be a wonderful book for an elementary music class. Please let me know if you use it!

Oddmix and her indoors! I'm thinking we should get a commission on the shooters!

Daddy D - always you have the reasoning behind the scene...much better to know how things work in order to get the most out of them...and life!

Goldennib - the title is "The Book of Myself; A Do-it Yourself Autobiography in 201 Questions" by Carl and David Marshall. I looked for a copy for my mother-in-law at Christmas and it was out of print, however, there is another version due out shortly.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is David Marshall, the co-author of The Book of Myself: A Do-it-Yourself Autobiography in 201 Questions. The revised and updated version (green cover instead of gray) is now on the shelves and available at Amazon and Barnes&Noble.com. Check out our Marshall Books website for more information about this book and our other titles. Thanks again for your support. David - www.marshallbooks.net

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home