Sunday, January 07, 2007

WWC: A Mystery Unfolds

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Mystery and Missing.

Willi and I found the neatest place to spend an afternoon during our last trip to Louisville. Walking through the maze of rooms at Architectural Salvage is like unlocking a mystery, one step at a time.

Everything from drawer pulls and drawers to door knobs, door hinges, and even doors was lined up by size, shape, style and color.

There were light fixtures, lamps, chandelier, candelabra and candle holders; things to light them with and things to put them out.

The only limit to what you might find is really the amount of time you can spend looking.

Although help was there for the asking, the fun was definitely in the hunt.

After winding around through the many rooms and floors we found that the mystery continued on through the house next door...

...out through the back, down the stairs and onto the lawn where you would find all sorts of ornaments, benches, fountains and faldera.

So next time you're in Louisville, time and inclination permitting, here is a great place to look for adventure and treasure.

I can't think of anything that was missing; not even the kitchen sink!
___________________________________________

In a Nutshell

A place set aside to answer
201 autobiographical questions

from a mother for her daughter.

This may take awhile...
join us if you like.


3. One of dad's traits I admired was: that he found joy in the little things. My rememberings are of a man who really had a pretty good outlook despite some pretty serious health issues. I don't really remember him being idle very much; he usually had either a tool or fishing rod in his hand. Doing things that others may have considered chores made him happy. I also remember that he liked coming home from work. Each evening at 5:30 he would come in the back door and whistle the same four notes. You could set the clock by it. So much so, that my mom could have dinner on the table as he walked up the stairs. Now that is a pleasant remembering that I had forgotten about.

17 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

I am glad someone has the time and business effort to save that old stuff. Someone else could use it to complete their project. Parts are parts and pieces are pieces. It is all good to someone. The organization of the salvage was really great.

8:14 PM  
Blogger willi said...

Missing: I could go missing in a place like that!

Daddy d is right, parts are parts and pieces are pieces. Sometimes the right antique part makes a piece just right. I know you could find it there.

Nice note on your dad.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Wowe, that store looks sooo fabulous, I am sure I would get lost there myself :)
The rememberance of family things such as your dad doing these things, that is what we all should strive for in families. People make things so complex nowadays. The simple things last and the simple things are importnant in life :)

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool place to wander through. Lots of neat stuff.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would love to go missing in that place well i can dream can't I

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great place. I'd like to see it. Nice story about your dad, too.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

I would almost consider traveling there JUST to see that place first hand! Awesome pictures. Did you buy anything?

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love places like that! Just looking at the stain glass windows there or the gorgeous lamps or even just a simple dresser knob makes me want to spice up my home.
thanks for the welcome to wwc!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so look forward to seeing your take on the WWC words! Very creative and interesting. :)

7:39 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Daddy D! You are right...it is all good to someone. One man's trash is definitely another man's treasure!

Willi - We sure had a good time there, didn't we?

Cazzie and Betty- I am enjoying answering these questions. They really do jog my memory and bring out things so nice to think about!

Jay and her indoors - it is so much like a maze - you definitely could go missing. Leave bread crumbs...

Tink! Yes, we did - Willi wanted a star for the front porch. You can see it in one of the pictures. I got a large wire basket that I filled with pine boughs and ornaments over the holidays. It's one of those places where you pick something up, carry it around, and then put it back because you see something way cooler. At least that's the way it works for me.

The moody chick...if you are crafty this is definitely the place to go!

Ch3ll3 - I'm not so hot at photography but I sure enjoy playing with the words!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great place!! I saw at least five or six things in your pictures that I would love to own. I am especially partial to that garden gate. I think it was in your last shot.

Great memories of your dad....

10:31 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Cool place...Louisville is great city, full of all kinds of surprises.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

What a wonderful place! A person would need to pack a lunch to do it justice.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great place to go shopping. If it had been me in that shop someone would have had to drag me out of there! Lovely pictures as well.

7:28 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

I just love sitting down with a hot chai and getting lost in your posts. They always add so much joy and wonder to my days.

When I see items like you have described here, I can't help but think of their history. Who made them? Who bought them originally? What family stories do they hold? etc... I could be lost for hours in thought.

Your dad sounds like such an admirable fellow :-)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh wow. I would have snapped up those beautiful stained glass windows.

Gorgeous!! How were the prices?

10:19 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Oh boy, I would get lost in there for days. It would be like a spiritual experience! The history! The untold stories! The pictures alone made me kinda dizzy with bliss!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home