Saturday, April 07, 2007

Old Pipes and Easter

Most project-type crises around our place seem to happen at the most inopportune times. Not that any time is really a good time for a crisis, and not that we really have big plans for Easter, but it is a cooking holiday nonetheless. Determined not to call a plumber right off the bat, particularly on holiday weekend dollars, Willi and Cali are fast at work on the kitchen sink. Most projects we begin this way end up far larger than we bargained for, mainly because one problem generally leads to another due to the age of this house and its innards. I can relate since the house and me are about the same age.

Easter seems to be kind of a non-holiday these days. All of our kids are past the age for egg hunts and baskets, and we do not have any grandbabies. Back in the day it was a pretty big deal. What seemed like HUGE Easter baskets would sit on the mantel ready to be devoured when we got up. My mom was great at filling them. I especially remember those little wax pop bottles filled with some kind of juice, egg shaped malted milk candies, and lots and lots of chocolate. Oh, and there were Pez, too. My mom would put dinner in the oven before church so that it would be ready when we got home. The smell of dinner would knock our socks off when we walked through the door. Everyone went to church; even my dad. And we were all dressed to the nines. I don't remember much about church really except that as I got older the connection between Jesus and candy didn't seem to make much sense. It still doesn't.

How's this for a bag of mixed emotions? This blurry picture was taken Easter Sunday after church with Gram. My son has it down pretty good, but Sarah is not the least bit interested in the bunny or the picture either one. I love this picture. Usually Josh was unhappy and Sarah had the pretty smile, but not so here. Thankfully, I don't often see that look in the eyes of the strong young woman she has grown up to be.

Easter reminds me of the story of the Velveteen Rabbit; one of my favorites. I also remember one of the little neighbor girls, Stacy, telling me all about her skeeter baggit. She went on and on. Much of what she said I could not understand, but she talked and I listened just the same. A few days later I saw her mom and told her all about our lovely conversation, which turned out to be about her Easter basket. I still giggle when I think of it. I saw her just a few weeks ago with her dad and her son. He is getting ready for kindergarten. Time sure does go by. It seems like yesterday that Willi's daughter and I were making bunny cakes. Now she's in high school!

It looks as though we will be seeing a plumber the first of the week. That's ok. After giving it a valiant effort, Willi is smoking ribs and Sarah is bringing plastic plates for our pre-Easter dinner. Not having running water in the kitchen is kinda sorta like camping. Well it's not that the water isn't running...it just doesn't have anyplace to go! Oh, well. A few years from now this will be one of those Easter rememberings! Hope your day is a good one.

5 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

There never is a good time for stuff to break down. Such a problem is at once tried to be solved and then get big help if needed. Good plan.

Happy Easter.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I sorry that you have plumbing woes. Other than your plumbing troubles, this is an especially wonderful post with pictures of your children. Even though she is not smiling, Sarah looks like a princess in the photo. Although he is very tired, Luke's Bugs Road Runny sits in a closet about five feet from my computer desk. Ah the memories and there are more memories to come.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Happy Easter Gawilli! I enjoyed reading about your families Easter plans back in the day. I didn't really grow up in that kind of familiy so I always find this stuff a fascinating read. Thanks for sharing!

4:37 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

happy camping easter!!!! these old houses can test us, can't they?

12:33 PM  
Blogger debi said...

Love the pictures and the stories. I hope you got your sink fixed. It's such a familiar story. My sink likes to be out of order for Thanksgiving. I have spent many a Turkey day with a bucket, tossing old water out the backdoor. It's those times that I realize how I take those seemingly simple things for granted.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home