Sunday, March 04, 2007

WWC: Just Another Day in the Hood

This is the view from the window over my kitchen sink on a wintery Saturday morning. I grew up with this view. In fact I took it for granted up until the time I moved into a house with a wall where the window was supposed to be. This was a great delight in moving back to the house of my childhood.

One of the first things Willi and I did when we settled in was to replace the feeders and fill them up with seed. Ever since then we have had a steady stream of visitors.

There is a definite pecking order in this neighborhood. Very seldom do I see two Cardinals feed at the same time, although they will share the same space with some of the smaller birds.

Mostly they hang out on the corner waiting around for their turn. Sometimes this row of evergreens is full of Cardinals and other critters.

This guy appears to be hitting on the chicks although they don't look too awfully impressed.

Of course, why would they make a hasty decision when there are so many other good lookers fluffed up and ready to go?
We are inundated with squirrels. They are the interlopers in this neighborhood; knocking down the feeders and scaring the birds away. They're not afraid of much which makes them a year round pest. This one I am familiar with only because his tail, or lack thereof, makes him quite noticeable.
These two bad boys caused quite a ruckus this morning. Can you see them? They are so far away that my camera and I are both struggling. They are actually across the creek, but their presence definitely does not go unnoticed.

Here is a little better view of the Red-tailed Hawks. I think they are hungry and waiting for breakfast. But I don't think they have seeds in mind...

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Civilized and Barbaric.

This little guy appears to be so civilized as he contemplates his next move. Maybe the circumstance in which he lost the majority of his tail has given him a somewhat calmer approach to life...

...as opposed to this barbaric acrobat, who prefers climbing down from the roof!

Just one more picture: Frosty Crabapples on a foggy morning.

Hope your week is a good one!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

L-o-v-e the pics. :o) And I think getting my tail docked would slow me down a little too!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Wow, the birds you have are amazing. Beautiful.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Amazing, gorgeous pics, :)

6:19 AM  
Blogger graymama said...

I think it is wonderful that you loved your childhood home so much that you were so delighted to move back :-)

Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL!

We have a Cardinal family in our backyard every year :-)

There is one squirrel that loves to torture Golden. He will scamper up to the slide door and knock on the glass just to torment Golden. Of course, when Golden is in the backyard the first thing he does is chase that squirrel up a tree :-P

11:13 AM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. If I had that kind of entertainment from my window I would never go out!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never actually seen a cardinal, and you have zillions. I love all the photos. How wonderful for you to move back into such a magical place.

11:26 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

how beautiful is that? I had cardinals at my feeder in Hawaii and countless birds I can't name...I love feeding them, but when you live in the city, quite often the birdfeeder becomes the cat feeder so I leave well enough alone. Until I find a raven or a whiskeyjack...
what a nice hood you have.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Aren't you lucky to be able to move back to your childhood home? I have always dreamed of doing that. Nice photos, too.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

The birds and the squirrels can provide hours and hours of entertainment.

4:05 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Michelle - It would slow me down, too. I did wonder if his sense of balance was altered. Hmm.

Goldennib and Cazzie - I enjoy them very much. They go through an alarming amount of seed, but it is worth it. Well, I can say that anyway...Willi fills them for me!

Graymama! Cali gets wound up about the squirrels also. They frustrate me to no end. Even in the spring and summer they dig up my planters looking for acorns or bulbs. Scoundrels!

Tod - Funny that you should say that. I was over by Susan's Photoblog thinking how beautiful her pictures are, and then there's Dilling and the shots that are just breathtaking, and I was thinking "Geez, I need to get out of this house!" You are right, though. Some mornings it is a pretty good show.

5:14 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Susan, the cardinals used to be few and far between. I don't remember seeing many of them when I was a kid. There were plenty of Blue Jays - but know they are few. Interesting how it works that way.

Dilling - cat feeders don't sound so good either. I think I would pass on that. But I will go now to google Whiskeyjack!

Betty - It is good here. I imagine we will be here for awhile. Willi always says it is similar to the house he grew up in, in Arkansas.

Jay - They are very entertaining. It is nice in the winter because they stand out in the branches. In the summer they tend to get lost in the foliage.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I love the calm view that you have out your kitchen window. I think that everyone could benefit from a daily look at nature out the back window...what a stress reliever. Your pictures are beautiful even the ones of your friends, the pesky squirrels.

8:58 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Really good photos. I love all that goes with having birds and squirrels. We used to have lots and lots of birds and wildlife at the old house. Still hoping for more birds and such here, but not many trees for them to make homes in. You have a really good eye and great sense with the camera.

9:09 PM  
Blogger katy said...

great photos and lovely for you that you are back in a house that you adore

3:46 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I used to think that squirrels were cute until I had a family of them nest under my attic roof. It turned into a horror story ...getting them out of there.
Enjoyed the pictures!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mindfully Moody said...

Whenever I go visit my mom I always have my camera stationed at the kitchen window to catch birds at the bird feeder and squirrels running along the porch (not to mention the odd deer and bear). I have never caught nearly as good pictures as you. I especially got a kick out of the Barbaric Squirrel!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Mjd, it surely does make doing the dishes a lot more pleasant. It is interesting that the critters become accustomed to me at the window.

PJ Librarian - I bet you will get more critters as your trees grow up. My old neighborhood was without trees and critters for quite a few years, but as the flora grew along came the birds, bugs, and other cool things.

Her Indoors, Willi and I are very fortunate to have this house to call home. There is a great story there I should share one of these days. My mother and I both held on to it even though others thought we shouldn't.

Ginnie, good to see you! We had a similar problem with a family of racoons. They trapped them one at a time in a "Safe-heart" trap then released them elsewhere. There were seven of them.

Moody Chick - Ooooh! I would love to have deer and bear! How cool is that? We have had deer one time since Willi and I have been here - at least that we know of. I watch for them, or even their tracks, all the time.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I only have a small garden I have many resident birds due to my bird feeders and baths, but I regret none are as colourful (British spelling) as the ones in your neck of the woods.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

The cardinal pictures are amazing! I love the contrast of the red against the snowy background.

BTW: Hoop and I saw two hawks mating on our neighbors roof yesterday.

2:58 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Wow, that is some look at the great out doors! Those Cardinals look really nice against the wooded background.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Spenser said...

I only dream of that weather out here in California :P

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home