Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Crafty Challenge

Our house has three bedrooms. Well it used to have anyway. Now it has one bedroom, a computer/music room where I puter and Willi plays his guitars, and a guest/craft room. The last of the three rooms looks like a plain old bedroom when company comes, complete with a day bed. If you take a closer look you will find a veritable delicatessen of craft supplies; some of them mine, some are my daughter's, and some were even my mom's. Many are projects in various stages of completion.

That's right. I come by it honestly. It's in my blood. I am a closet crafter. I may not see as well as I used to, and sometimes my fingers aren't quite as nimble, but the love of the craft is still there.

Graymama, in this post, offered up a crafty challenge. The first five people to comment would receive a personally handcrafted item. In the true spirit of "paying it forward" they would also be obligated to post a similar offer on their blog.

I hemmed and hawed. After all, it was November and the holidays were right around the corner. I'm in a new job; company was coming for Christmas. I couldn't make the big "C". You know - COMMITMENT! I did what any self respecting crafter would do, one who could not stand to pass up an offer like this one, I e-mailed Graymama to let her know I was interested but couldn't COMMIT until after the holidays. And guess what? It was ok with her because she was way busy, too.

So. If you are interested in this crafty challenge, shoot me an e-mail. The first five people to respond will receive a personally hand crafted gift made by me. I will contact you for your mailing address as soon as it is done. Here is the challenge part. I'm changing it just a little. You can make a similar offer on your blog, OR you can "pay a kindness forward", and then share it with the rest of us. That's it! You're going to have to trust me on the craft part, but the surprise is half the fun of it.

So, what do you think?

_________________________________________


In a Nutshell

A place set aside to answer
201 autobiographical questions

from a mother for her daughter.

This may take awhile...
join us if you like.


8. My parents felt strongly about passing on these lessons: both of my parents, by example, taught me the importance of doing things the "right way", meaning that easy was not always better. It was a sometimes painful lesson, but valuable just the same. One year I had a foods project in 4-H and had decided to make a braided yeast roll with a date filling. I had practiced so many times trying to make it come out right that every family member, friend, and neighbor had at least one that summer. There were other similar projects over the years and the lessons I learned in their completion have helped me many times over. Another thing I learned that is equally as important is having the good sense to realize when the project, job, or undertaking is just plain bigger than me and what I really have to say is "No". Saying "No" is still pretty hard, but not near as hard as saying "Yes" and not being able to pull it off.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The craft challenge is a fun idea. My fingers were just itching to go dig in your closet and see what't in there!

Those are great lessons to learn. So do you still make braided yeast rolls?

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of craft stuff in that closet! You could open your own craft store!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo... I'm in! I'll email you separately.

I also came by to let you know I commented back about WordPress. Of course, I did it on my own blog without thinking. Silly me.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so wish I had the craft gene. I can make curtains and hem pants. That's it. Kudos to you for taking it to the next level.

8:47 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Good stuff crafts. All my sisters, my Mom, and even my brother really are productive craft people. Having supplies is a big part of being ready to produce, should the time and effort be in the wind. There is joy in looking at things that could be made. Probably more joy in doing a project to completeion.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I am not surprised that you do crafts, but I really did not know that you do crafts. You do so many other things and crafts too.

Now that I think about this, you did blog about knitting and made beautiful Christmas bows for church.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home