Sunday, January 21, 2007

Simple Pleasures

Graymama over at The Beauty of Gray posted some pictures of her beautiful son in the kitchen. Today I was back in the boxes of rememberings and found these of a little girl, probably close to 50 years ago, enjoying what might have been cookie dough equally as much. Truly it's the simple pleasures that count.





_________________________________________

In a Nutshell

A place set aside to answer
201 autobiographical questions

from a mother for her daughter.

This may take awhile...
join us if you like.


7. A habit I picked up during my early years was: smoking. I don't know this to be sure, but I do know that as I move through the boxes of old rememberings one thing that seems to stand out is that many of the pictures of my day and I include a cigarette. I remember him smoking Pall Mall cigarettes with no filter. I don't think people knew about the damage smoking could do back in the day. I know that in the early seventies my dad had open heart surgery and by 1974, at the age of 54, 13 days before his 55th birthday, he was dead. I was 18. I also know that I started smoking when I was in high school and I smoked off and on until my daughter's 26th birthday in 2004. This was what she asked and it made sense to me. Probably not soon enough for me, but at least her children may have a chance to grow up smoke free.

14 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

I love your pictures. Your parents must have known that little GA was about to do something spectacularly cute. When you crawled on the table to finish the dough, they were ready with the camera. The series of pictures are better than home movies.

I am glad that you have quit smoking. Somehow, I was lucky. Smoking never appealed to me, and I grew up in family of four smokers.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all smoked and now nobody does. It seems like smoking is right up there with eating babies these days. There isn't an old photo that doesn't feature a cigarette in somebody's hand. There is a photo of my mother, great with child (me) and a cigarette in her hand. How things change! I wonder what will be next?

11:35 AM  
Blogger graymama said...

The last picture of you on the table made me laugh so hard that I just had to show Hubby your pictures, and he said exactly what I was thinking, "Some things never change." :-) Next time I am in St. Louis, I will have to look up the picture of me "mixing" cookie dough while wearing my snoopy hat.

Re: Smoking
My paternal grandfather died of lung cancer when I was six. I will never forget seeing him in the hospital. I was never a cigarette smoker, but I did dabble in those funny roll 'em up cigarettes during high school and college. Grandpa's face will forever be filed next to a picture of cigarettes in my mind.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Those old pictures are so much fun. Nothing is more fun than baking cookies and sampling the cookie dough.

9:45 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Mjd - I'm glad I quit smoking, too. There are times when it would be really easy to start again, but I won't.

Peggy, you are right. I very clearly remember the cigarette commercials on television and the stars that would smoke on their shows...Jackie Gleason, Dean Martin, and the rest of the Rat Pack for that matter. It is interesting. I just heard a news clip about how the cigarette manufacturers have been raising the amount of nicotine in cigarettes every so slightly each year. Shameful, really.

Graymama, I so enjoy your pictures of Buddy. I would love to see yours in your snoopy hat. Hubby is right! Somethings do not change!

Jay - old pictures and cookie dough are both simple pleasurers!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures. It's strange that you should mention 'I don't think people knew' because I was going to blog about my dad who was warned off smoking by his doctor in 1925 !

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

OMG. Those pictures are precious! I love love love the one with your head in the bowl.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they are great photos and the one with your head in the bowl is priceless

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. . .do you still eat raw cookie dough?

6:45 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Now that little girl really knew how to take care of the good stuff in that bowel. She got into it, for real.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pictures are awesome. I love the one of the head in the bowl! And the pic of your Dad, of course.

10:03 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

John, I don't know if my dad was warned off smoking. I knew it wasn't good for me and continued anyway.

Tink and Her Indoors, glad you like the photos. I'm sure my parents had a laugh taking them.

Shauna - I honestly don't make cookies much anymore, but I have had the cookie dough ice cream. Maybe when I have grandkids I can share the joys of cookie dough with them.

Daddy D and Ch3ll3, Good to the last drop!

5:39 AM  
Blogger willi said...

Nice pictures. I bet that little girl is one heck of cook now!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures!!! The one with your head in the bowl is hilarious!!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home