Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Winter wine, some tunes, and a book...

We are in the throws of a little bitty snow storm...right here in River City, my friends. I tried to take some really beautiful pictures to share with you, but the really beautiful snowflakes kept getting in the way!

Here is another. I tried several more, but the snow was falling so fast and furious that every single picture has the combination of the flash and the flakes. I guess I am being reminded to see the beauty in the small stuff. I need that sometimes.

This is a more sheltered view from the front of our house. I don't really think the amount of snow is the issue as much as the wind that is causing great drifts. It was enough to cancel school today and maybe even tomorrow.

Willi and I shoveled the drive when we got home this afternoon. We made it all the way to the road, then turned around to see the driveway covered with another few inches. An hour or so later the drifts were back and Willi was shoveling yet again, only to be rescued by a neighbor and his blower of snow. Yipee!

While the outside is cold and snowy, the inside is cozy and warm. This is one of my favorite things...although my picture does not do it justice! There are actually two crackling sounds that I enjoy; one is the crackle of an old album on the turntable, and the other is the sound of a fire in the fireplace. You know, the fire crackle that makes you think it has a life of it's own.

What better time for some good old indulgence? After all, we're definitely not going anywhere real soon. Pour yourself a glass of wine...

...and put some tunes on the stereo. Something old and comfortable might be nice. This is my first chance to listen to some of the new tunes we picked up two weeks ago.

Here's my first choice. It's a little older Kasey Chambers release from 2000. You can sample the songs on The Captain here. I'm pretty hard on female singers. At least that is what Willi says. But this is pretty good, and a lot more rootsy than her newer stuff.

Here is my read for the night...I think it is my favorite new children's book.

Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth, Jon J. Muth (Illustrator): This is a really neat book about a giant Panda Bear that moves into the neighborhood, enlightening the children with three ancient Zen stories. My favorite is a lesson about letting go of frustration rather than carrying it around like a load on your back. Stillwater, the bear, shares short but meaningful tales in a simple and easy to understand manner. The author calls these "Zen Shorts; short meditations - ideas to puzzle over - tools which hone our ability to act with intuition. They have no goal, but they often challenge us to reexamine our habits, desires, concepts, and fears."

There are good thoughts for young souls in this book, and old souls, too. And that's a nice thing to warm up to on a cold winter night.

14 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Gawilli,
Welcome back to the world of blogging... Your post like your other entries brings us kind and gentle warming thoughts on a cold winter's day.

I like the watercolor artwork in Zen Shorts. Thank you for the recommendation.

7:58 AM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Snow days. Yes. Here is some free time to get those lab papers all graded up. Right? That should happen, but maybe not. I did make a list for day two of snow. Then again I may just look out the window for fine sights such as in your pictures. One thing that needs to get done for sure is the drive way. I did get smart and parked at the street end to make it easier to get out.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your snow pictures are so pretty, I like all those flakes in there.

It looks as though you have a very nice day planned for yourselves. Enjoy it!

10:52 AM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Mjd, It is good to be back. I seem to drift in and out these days, but always feel better after writing! The illustrations are really fine in this book. It is also a Caldecott Award Winner; I forgot to mention that.

Daddy d, I really like snow days when we are truly snowed in and don't have to even try to shovel yet. That just does not happen very often, but we can still make the best of it. I love looking out the window also.

Susan, I like all the flakes also, but at first I thought there was something wrong with the camera. Then I thought there was water on the lense. Duh! This was a very nice day. Thanks for your good wishes.

6:43 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

ah, I do love the fire, but do not miss the snow...if we can get through the rest of our west coast winter without it, you are welcome to it...

6:48 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Yeah for Zen Shorts....Made it to our bookself a while back, but it is definitely a keeper. Glad you are enjoying it.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

That snow is just fabulous.
I will have to look out for that book next time I go into my favourite Boarders Bookstore.
LOL, I love Casey Chambers too, in fact, it is reputed, that I sound like her when I talk, kid you not...now, if I could just sing like her too :)

9:24 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Dilling - I love the snow, but I admit I am not really into the maintenance of it. So, please do not send any our way in great amounts. At least until we can replace the snow blower!

Hi PJ! I'm not really up to snuff on what is new and popular, but as I find them they are added to my little library. Who knows, maybe one of these days there will be a wee one to read them to!

Ah, Cazzie - Now I can put a sound to your name! We have been listening to her for a few years now. I have sampled all of her CD's but this is the one I like the best. OH, and I bet your kids would like this book!

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Americans always seem to cope so well with snow. Last week we had one day of snow here in the UK and the country nearly came to a stop.

10:40 AM  
Blogger katy said...

leave the snow on the path and enjoy the wine and the music and a good book

1:33 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

On a second look, I see that two of the books in the stack are by Barak Obama. You do read the best books. Also, that is a cool snow cowboy.

7:23 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

John, it is not by choice that we cope with snow!

Her indoors - fine wine and good company...that is the way to go for sure!

Mjd - That's Willi's cowboy! The Obama lit is mine. I'm reading up. So far I think he is the best there is for the job...want to know a little more.

7:28 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

We had a bit more snow in Arkansas on Wednesday night. Nothing to compare with yours, but it was white, cold and covered the ground!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

The best things about snow are taking snow pictures and then going back inside a warm and cozy house and having some hot chocolate and reading a good book. I don't have a fireplce, otherwise that would be on the list of good things too.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home