Thursday, August 24, 2006

How was your first day of school?

Tuesday was in-service with PTO in the evening; Wednesday was teacher work day with Open House in the evening; and today was the first day of school for my elementary principal husband. I don't know which woke us up at 5:15, the thunder or the alarm. The morning headlines read, "Storm Thrashes Area". He was looking for his raincoat on the way out the door, determined to get out early enough to pick up fluorescent sticky dots so kindergarten teachers could identify bus riders by color.

By the time I got to work at 7:00 it was pouring.

Naturally the rain continued until all the buses were unloaded, the children made their way to class, and the first day parents had left the parking lot. At 1:00 I got an e-mail that said "This is the first chance I have had to stop and try for lunch. I am out of shape." I shot back a quick response, "Those kids will get you into shape quickly!" That was the last I heard until around 5:30 this evening when I looked up from my desk to see his tired face rounding the corner of my office doorway.

I said, "So, how was your first day of school?"

He said, "Well, we had the usual new students that had not pre-registered. The new kindergarten teacher was elated that she had no criers; students or parents. On the other hand, one second grade student cried all through lunch. Another of the special needs students was devastated that the cafeteria no longer served ice cream; something that had previously been a highlight of his day." Yadda yadda..."and some parent parked in the road then motioned for her child to cross in front of traffic instead of getting in line like everyone else. Then she got mad when the traffic would not stop to let her pull out."

I said, "So, sounds like a pretty rough day."



He said, "Not at all. It was great! The teachers were great. The kids were great. It was a good day! My feet hurt and I am tired. What are we having for dinner?"

Then he said, "So how was your day today?"

And I said mine was all right too. You might say we got in touch with the little child in each of us...and it was good.



3 Comments:

Blogger daddy d said...

First days are so important for the whole school year. Pretty much all around me, we had a very good start to the new school year. However, Gary school kids are yet to have their first day of the school year. It maybe awhile before they do get to have that first day start to the new school year. The teachers in that system mean business. Amen.

9:58 PM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

Rain is hard when buses are unloading and for recess time. But, I sure wish we had some here. Our grass is a nice shade of straw.

But, it is good to see there are still adults out there that know the importance of crayons at any age. The pictures are great. I love the sun with the umbrella.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I never envy the principal's position on the first day or any other day of school. But I know the man with the athletic shoes does a fine job.

The pictures are wonderful. You surely drew those pictures with your new box of crayons.
Sometimes getting in touch with the little child in each of us is a good thing.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home