Sunday, October 29, 2006

WWC and a little blither.

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Lame and Late.

This picture was taken on the banks of the Ohio River. Granted the river is much higher than our last visit, so the fossil beds we explored in past trips are under water - but the garbage floating in the river, i.e. plastic bottles and even a tire, was pretty Lame. Remember Woodsy Owl?

This Late blooming Iris was in all its glory on Bardstown Road in Louisville. It must have been going for a second round...ours are done by the time summer rolls around.

This afternoon I heard a rapid tapping outside the window. Hanging upside down from the vent was a little Downy Woodpecker. Here is my Lame attempt at catching him through the window with my camera.

Blog Blither - that pile of clippings left over from the weekend papers.

In this morning's Times there was a blurb in the Lifestyles section about the book Applebee's America. Maybe you have read it. Its supposed to be "a roadmap for success whether you are selling a product, a concept or a candidate." The authors offer a 12 question quiz to determine whether you belong to the "red tribe" (Republican), "blue tribe" (Democrat), or are a "tipper" - meaning you could go either way. Their contention is "that your lifestyle - what's in your refrigerator or your garage - says as much about your politics as your position on gay marriage or whether you live in a red or blue state."

It looks like an interesting read just based on this comment by Amy Goldstein of the Washington Post “…Applebee's America offers a readable and useful way of thinking about what our politicians, corporations and religions are trying to do to us -- and how they are doing it.” — September 12, 2006. I guess I'd like to know what they're thinking I'm thinking.

Willi and I both took the quiz. It was pretty short and simple. It was also wrong on both counts. Click here if you would like to take the quiz, too. I'd be interested in knowing if you think it gave an accurate read.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
According to the Associated Press, rescuers ended their search for a manatee that had apparently swam 700 miles up the Mississippi River to the Memphis riverfront. They were hoping to haul it by truck to Florida. Manatees are endangered and cannot survive in the cool northern waters. I was really hoping this story would have a happy ending.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Michael J. Fox was lambasted for his appearance in recent political campaign ads suppporting candidates who are in favor of stem cell research. Anything we can do to bring the worth of this research to the forefront should be done. I applaud him for his efforts.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Finally...if you made it this far, here is some eye candy.
To see the full 70 second ad, click here. You'll love it. I sure did!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Love the pictures. Great way to say the words.

The quiz is just moronic. Some of the questions are purely about stereotypes and not really usable. The Wal-Mart v an organic market is the worst. Given that there are very few organic markets in non-urban areas it leaves a person with no real option but to answer "Wal-Mart". There were a couple of other questions that were similar. Stupid quiz.

10:03 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Jay - in 7 of the 12 questions, neither answer applied to me. As we continually get blasted with political advertising, I find it interesting to see what both parties think push our buttons - particularly with the authors of this book being spinners for politicians as well as Fortune 500 companies (some churches included).

10:43 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

I couldn't take the quiz... I wouldn't go to wrestling OR monster truck. I wouldn't drink Dr. Pepper or Pepsi...most(all) of those questions were absolutely useless in trying to identify my buying habits...yikes. Are we such a minority out here? I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in YEARS AND YEARS.

10:42 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

oh, but the paint video was pretty cool.

10:43 AM  
Blogger katy said...

hey we got the paint ad over here to its good! took the quiz but had to lie about some couldn't see the point in it really am i missing something?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

I came up "red", which is laughable. Bad test. Several of the questions, I would have answered N/A. It is interesting, however, to know just what answers would have pointed to the blue tribe.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I love taking quizzes and answering surveys. This quiz placed me in the red tribe. I do live in a red state. But my voting pattern is a true blue as Papa Smurf. I no longer drink so Bourbon, Scotch, Gin, or Vodka are not choices. When I did drink, any one these spirits would do. Coors taste better than Budweiser so my choice would have been Coors. I would shop at Kroger, but I dislike Wal-Mart for a variety of reasons, one being that this is a very red company. I cannot think of any circumstance in which I would watch Monster Trucks or Pro Wrestling. That being said the book looks interesting.

Nice pictures...I think that this week's words are particularly challenging.

4:26 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Dilling - I don't think you are anymore the minority there than we are here. I have yet to hear from anyone who was correctly identified. Maybe we are all missing the point. Maybe democrats are not a part of their target population.

Her Indoors - my daughter showed me the paint ad last night - I have not seen it on television here. It sure is interesting to watch.

Betty - I thought their concept of "Blue" was interesting also.

Mjd, I think the book would be interesting also - even if it is just to see what they are thinking. I don't think I will give the authors money for it though! We thought the words were challenging also - but fun just the same.

Chelle - We have been having terrific computer issues also. It seems like if it isn't Blogger, than it is the internet provider.

10:50 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

As usual, I totally dig your WWC! You did a great job catching the woodpecker, IMO :-)

I was Tipping, but most of my answers would have been neither. The options were insulting.

I also applaud Michael J. Fox. I have read his autobiography, and I am inspired by how real, honest and true he is.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home