Friday, November 10, 2006

I'm a music junkie...

...and it's all their fault.
Oh, I know they look so wholesome in this picture; just like baseball and apple pie. Those are the ones you have to watch out for. You would never think these loving parents would pass this addiction along to their own child. I'm sure they didn't intend for it to happen, but it did just the same. It all started very innocently; a little song while rocking in the big chair, a tune to pick up toys by, and then a lullaby before bedtime. Who would think a song about an ant and a rubber tree plant could be so insidious.
Pretty soon they brought out the big guns; the Glenn Miller Concerts. Volumes I, II, and III. Then it was Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra even Mahalia Jackson - no kidding, even Mahalia. I knew all the words to the Rodgers and Hammerstien musicals... Oklahoma, Carousel, South Pacific; you name it.



Before long I was hooked. I had to have some records of my own.

Oh, the smell of vinyl in the morning.



The proof is in the picture. The needle had its grip on me - I craved the sound of the sharp diamond point gliding along the smooth black disks. It wasn't long before I graduated to the hard stuff. Oh, so young. By my sixth birthday it was me and Ricky Nelson. On one side of the 45 we sang Hello Mary Lou and if that wasn't enough I could flip it over and sing Travelin' Man. That's what I call a double shot.

And don't think they didn't use it to their advantage. As soon as I found out you could actually see these guys on television, that was it. I was done for. My entire life hinged on getting my chores done in time for this show...and they knew it.

I could rate a record with the best of them. Not only that, at some point in every show Dick would tell me what the top ten records were. It was then that I found out what an allowance was.


Jeanie at the dimestore became my dealer. Once a week the new tunes would come in and once a week I would give her all I had. In return I would get one, maybe two hits.



In all fairness, the entire blame cannot be placed upon my parents. James played a part in my undoing as well. It was from him that I learned about albums. If I worked a little harder and saved a little longer, I could get a whole bunch of songs all at one time. Yes, he was my first.

The insatiable need for new tunes has permeated my life. From record players to iPods, and from 78's to cd's; there's no ridding myself of this monkey on my back. It follows me where ever I go. Go ahead, name the town. If I've been there I can tell you where to go to fill your need, like here...

or here.

It's all about the music, man. It just gets in your head. It's all about the needle and the damage done. Sorry Neil. It's all about...well, it's actually all about one of the best gifts my parents could have given me.

Thanks.

15 Comments:

Blogger Ginnie said...

Well done...you must have done a lot of research! Isn't it fun to go back and see what we used to love in the way of music? My tastes have changed completely except for some of the old ballads.

5:16 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

That is good stuff, music of all forms. I don't see any problem here at all. For I know that I am of the not the musical person many others happen to be. However, there is no lack of grace in your post. You in no way said I can do music and you can not do music. There was much to be said the other way. Maybe, I need to think along musical lines. I might be missing something. Others do way more that I do. But I just did pop for a Beatles CD because "Hard Days Night" was on it. Rock on.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I love this post. You always have a grand way of weaving your thoughts, your words, and your pictures into a wonderful story. This entry is both fun and funny.

As a music lover, you might enjoy the music exchange that Frema is promoting on her blog.

6:21 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Ginnie, my tastes have changed but mostly by expanding to bring in new kinds of music. I can still belt out "Oklahoma", much to the amusement of my family. The magnitude of my singing ability by no means matches my love for music!

Daddy D! Rock on with your Beatles tunes! As for grace, I always felt like music could be a universal language if everyone would stop and listen. Kind of sappy I guess.

Mjd - I will stop on by Frema's place! Thanks for the tip, and the good thoughts!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh! Ricky Nelson! I thought he was SO cute. I read somewhere that his mother Harriet died not that long ago. Not many will remember Ozzy & Harriet. Thanks for dredging up some old memories!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

"just like baseball and apple pie" that's the equivalent to us here Down Under saying, " Football and meat pie", LOL.
I love music too, growing up with Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Arethra Franklin, The Stones, The Beetles and countless other big names, my mum always had a tune playing.
Love the pictures yet again, love them alot :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Needless to say, I love this post!! I guess you could say I took my music addiction to the extreme when I decided to become a music teacher. I direct 7 choirs and they are all gearing up for our busy Christmas performing season. My fifth grade choir is singing a beautiful two-part arrangement of O Holy Night. It was a challenge for them and they have really worked hard on it. They did it so well at our Friday rehearsal that I shed a few tears. I always tell my kids when I tear up during a song they are singing it means they are approaching perfection. My fifth graders were quite pleased to see my emotional reaction!

9:37 PM  
Blogger debi said...

Oh I love this post and I love all the comments.From what you said I think we must be about the same age. My Moma listened to KXOA radio(Sacramento) when I was little. I would be playing hopscotch in the driveway and hear my Mom singing "Hello Marylou" out the kitchen window. She also played classical piano and taught me to pick out what composer and what song when I was in first grade. My kids are all music freaks too. I love it. No matter how down I feel,I can put on "Here Comes The Sun" and there I am feeling upbeat again. I am happy to share this addiction with all of you. Best addiction I ever had.

11:45 PM  
Blogger debi said...

Oh I forgot to mention, I just love the old pictures you post. Thank you.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was great, wonderfully evocotive words and pictures :)

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents gave me the gift of Elvis.

Unfortuneately that also came with some positively strange dance techniques. I am a combination of Elvis and Elaine from Seinfeld.

I usually remain seated at parties.

2:06 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Peggy, I remember Ozzie and Harriet. Another show that comes to mind is My Three Sons, and of course Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best...all in black an white tv...antenna and weather permitting!

Cazzie - my kids grew up with my music also; and then I listened to theirs as they came along. We used to play name that tune in the car as we listened to the radio. I hope they think those were good memories also.

Songbird, you have the best of both worlds, working in an area that you love. It seems to me that it is a wonderful opportunity to bring something great into the life of a child. I have vivid memories of my elementary teacher Mrs. Lunger, who stood us on risers and taught us to belt out The Wabash Cannonball. We sang with great joy and abandon as the piano jumped and the tears rolled down her cheeks. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Deb! Isn't it interesting how we tie music to times and events in our lives? And then along with that recollection comes all of the emotion of that very moment! It sounds like we could have a pretty good game of name that tune between your family and mine. Glad you like the pictures!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was great. I remember in high school we all had these cassette tape carriers that held anywhere from 50 to 200 tapes. I don't remember how mny mine held but it was a pretty good number. Lots of Ozzy, Kiss, Judas Priest, Van Halen and more of the great 80's hair bands.

My tastes have expanded a lot since those days.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - my kids freak at the sight of an album and 8 tracks! ! !
Thanks for reminiscing

2:19 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

Music has been such an important part of my life and Hubby's life, too. We hope to pass on that love to Buddy. I remember my first violin teacher telling me that he loved how I swayed to the music as I played :-)

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home