Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday's Feast One Hundred and Eighteen


Feed your mind
with thought-provoking,
mind-stimulating questions…

visit Friday's Feast:

a buffet for your brain.


Appetizer

Do you believe there is intelligent life on other planets?
Call me cynical, but sometimes I find myself looking for signs of intelligent life on this planet. That wasn't very nice, was it? Really though, it's hard for me to believe that we are all there is.

What do you think?

Soup
What is one thing you said you'd never do, but you eventually did?
Actually I can't think of anything. I learned a long time go "never to say never" because just as soon as you do...you're there. There are things that have happened along the line that have caught me by surprise. For example, when I was young and invincible I thought I would always be...young and invincible. It was quite a rude awakening when I realized I could no longer read the directions on the prescription bottle, let alone the fact that there was a prescription bottle. There are also some things that I have done that I probably should not have, but that is another story!

Salad
Who is the teacher that influenced you the most in school?
I had an English teacher in high school that allowed us to think outside of the box. I remember listening to Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" and dissecting the verses to the songs. Mr. Woods taught one of those classes that I really looked forward to. I also had a journalism teacher that didn't last much more than a year. He was quite impressive - more like a real journalist stuck in a classroom, than a teacher. Rich James now writes for my morning read.

Main Course
If you could trade places with anyone for one day, who would it be and why?
This is a hard one. I wouldn't want to waste it. If I knew I would be back to my same self tomorrow, I think I might like to be dead for a day. Oh, stay with me here for a minute. We spend entirely too much time worrying about who's going to heaven and who's going to hell, and what we have to do to get there. Just think - if I could really and truly be dead for a day, then come back with a definitive answer - we could quit sweating the small stuff and get down to the business of taking care of each other in the here and now. How's that for thinking outside of the box?

Dessert
What is your favorite dish to prepare?
My favorite dish to prepare would have to be my mom's macaroni and cheese. It's a definite comfort thing; not real good for you, but real good to eat - and everyone likes it. Preparation is very easy with macaroni, Velveeta, and Milnot; covered with bacon - cooked until crispy. As with most comfort food, it's even good the second day. Aside from that, I like it when Willi and I cook together which is always a good time for us.

I kind of like cooking up these Friday's Feasts also!

7 Comments:

Blogger willi said...

Remember when you said you wouldn't eat raw oysters. Then you were introduced to the Gulf Coast Oyster?

8:47 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Wow, yes it was a history feast reading your post. Rich James did a lot for the teacher's strike in 1972. Super guy.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

appetizer - great answer i like that! i like to think others are out there
soup - now we await to hear about the things you have done that you probably shouldn't have!
main course - that would be great i would love to know if there is life after death
desert - not for me macaroni cheese, its lovely that you an willi enjoy cooking together

4:20 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Ha,ha your appetizer is funny. Yes, I think that there is life elsewhere in the vast universe.

We must be sisters. I too thought that my youth and my invinciblity were eternal.

Speaking of eternal, your Main Course is certainly thinking outside the casket (box.) Either way, I think that we can, and we should, as you say, "quit sweating the small stuff and get down to the business of taking care of each other in the here and now." That way we come closer to heaven on earth and diminish our hell on earth that we seem determined to put ourselves and others through.

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was cool. I agree that it's hard to believe that we are the only ones around. No life on any other planet any in any other solar system? How arrogant of us. I think there is intelligent life out there somewhere.

10:16 AM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Willi - my first experience with oysters was not a good one so I really wasn't interested in having a second. You are right though. If the second experience was also poor, there would NEVER have been a third. Now, after 7 years of oyster consumption I can still say that the fresh Gulf Coast Oysters are the best yet.

Daddy D - I remember that strike. I was a Junior. Rich James writes a pretty wicked editorial!

Her Indoors, I'll have to work on that post..."Thing's Better Left Undone!"

Mjd - Oh to be young and invincible! Although old and obnoxious has its moments also!

Jay, Wonder if we will ever find each other - wonder if they are as arrogant as we are...

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but it seems as though your Main Course is cheating! What a great concept though...the only problem would be getting the rest of the world to believe whatever you found. Then of course, humankind being what it is, they would probably start a New Religion based on your findings...you of course would be the newest diety. There needs to be more intelligent life Out There to save us from ourselves!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home