Sunday, November 12, 2006

WWC: Conform and Rebel

The topic of conformity and rebellion reminded me of this magazine for high school students from November 11, 1969. Pretty interesting times.

Highlights of the article are: 53 Connecticut high school boys are suspended because their hair was too long; a 17 year old girl in Brooklyn was defended by the ACLU after being sent home from school for wearing slacks; 20,000 high school students in Chicago boycotted classes for a community voice in the schools, more black teachers and courses in black history; and the Supreme Court agreed that students in Iowa should be allowed to wear black armbands to protest the war in Viet Nam.

Who are the Protesters? According to opinions expressed in this article they are either spoiled brats, hoodlums, radical agitators, or students who feel a need for change in their schools or our society. If you click on this portion of the article you will be able to read the text. There is an interesting exchange between J. Edgar Hoover and a member of the S.D.S.

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Conform and Rebel.

Willi and Cali were more than happy to conform to my request
for the first fire of the season!

The Razorback and the Rebel in blatant defiance of
the "No Couch for Cali" rule.

Cali conforms to the shape of her bed.
. . . . . . . . .

One from the road ...

Morning Moon

12 Comments:

Blogger willi said...

Of course a Razorback and a "bird dog" would be the rebel.

How 'bout the hogs?

Nice post. Good pictures.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooo Pig Sooie! The Hogs are on a roll!

Cali looks pretty comfy on that couch. haha

When I was in high school I was editor of our paper. I got called into the Principals office many time to be told not to run certain stuff and he "previewed" the paper.

None of my fellow students cared enough to protest over the censorship of the paper.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I had the same dog as that called MATE. I miss him...

12:12 AM  
Blogger katy said...

love the photo of lighting the fire looks like cali helps a lot.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

The "Morning Moon" shot is lovely! Although the dog curled up and "conformed" into the dog bed is my favorite.

8:34 AM  
Blogger graymama said...

I love Cali's face in her rebel picture :-)

The moon shot is AMAZING!!!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

1969, the year that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, the Chappaquidick incident, and Woodstock, I remember that year. At the school where I taught and where I teach now, the controversy was over students wearing headbands (Native American style.) Also, an English teacher wearing a black armband got in an argument with an Industrial Arts teacher. Maybe 1969 was the year that more of the general population were rebelling against an unpopular war. Eventually though if a enough people rebel, there is conformity. I think that this may be happening again.

Fabulous moon picture...

3:59 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Great moon picture. The history stuff in the post is stuff that I might remember, but only after you point it out. A look at the past is good. Thanks.

7:44 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Great moon picture. The history stuff in the post is stuff that I might remember, but only after you point it out. A look at the past is good. Thanks.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kobe wanted me to say that he has a serious crush on Cali.

She's beautiful.

Marnie

12:10 AM  
Blogger PJ Librarian said...

I wasn't very old at the time, but I remember not being able to wear pants to school. Glad that way of thinking has changed for the good. I use to always get holes in my tights and hated wearing them. Plus, it was cold when I walked to school. Love the Cali photos. What a sweet face.

2:46 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Willi and Jay - two Razorbacks. What's a girl to do except say Go Hogs!

Cazzie - When we got Cali everyone said "OH, you will love her...spaniels are SOOOO Friendly!" We had no idea what that meant. This dogs LOVES people. She thinks everyone is coming to see her. If Mate was like this you had quite a dog! I get frustrated with her, but I would miss her also.

Her Indoors, Cali thinks she helps a lot! We just let her go on thinking that...

Tink, unfortunately Cali has been thinking lately that she should sleep on the foot of our bed - I think she is a non-conformist at heart!

Graymama - I'm glad you like the moon shot. That is my favorite!

Mjd...I remember all of those things, too. I think many of the events of those years shaped me. They certainly made me aware of the things around me and how I could effect change. I believe you are right about today...the times they are a changin'.

Daddy D! I knew you would appreciate the morning moon since you are a skyward photographer yourself! A look at the past is good as long as we keep moving forward, right?

Marnie, Cali and Kobe would look kind of cute together! She's flattered you know!

PJ Librarian - I remember getting sent home from school because I had "bloomers" on under my dress, of all things. They were very popular when I was in junior high, but the administration did not like them at all! We did not have a relaxed dress code until I was in high school.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home