Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Oh Brother!

There is a story I have enjoyed telling on my son for quite some time now and I finally found the picture to go with it.

He was just a little over two years old when his sister came home from the hospital. As with all first children, he had enjoyed everyone's undivided attention up unto that point. For the most part he did well with the new arrival and we were pretty careful to see that he had his own space and time.

A friend had lent us a nice little cradle. Placed in the dining room, it was just the perfect size and allowed me to keep a watchful eye, but still go on about the day. The actual bed hung from the frame and had a pin type latch to keep it from rocking. Without the pin the cradle would have a gentle sway with very little coaxing. You can probably see where I am going with this.

Standing at the kitchen sink, with my back to the cradle, I heard the baby wake with a start followed by the patter of feet heading down the hall. I turned in time to see the cradle doing a pretty steady rock and roll. After things calmed down I stood in the corner of the kitchen where I could see, but not be seen. Peeking around the corner I could see my son creep up to the cradle, look into the kitchen, look back into the cradle, kick the frame of the cradle, and run like hell down the hallway with a giggle!

After having "learned" that this was not appropriate, he would tease with the impish little grin in this picture.

13 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

*Snort* Too cute! My little brothers used to lay on the floor and peek in through the crack in my door. I could hear them giggling. Sometimes they'd shove things underneath it or put stuff in front of it to trip me. Little imps.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it wasnt me honest, so sweet

1:31 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

We had the very same cradl;e for our 4 children. Andm yiour son looks like my brother, wearing the cute top and overalls..and that cheeky grin , LOL. Butter wouldn't melt hey :)

3:50 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Good story. Sisters are a joy. But of course, I did not know that until much later in life. All my sisters are just wonderful people. My brother and I gave my older sister a quince. We said it was an apple. And she ate just a little bit before telling mom. My sons did the same to me not very long ago. They however, tried to act like they had taken a bite of a quince and it was a really good. They almost got ol' dad on that one.

4:44 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

In addition, you could get another take on that quince story by linking to Useless Clutter and then to 2004 Monday Nov. 15.

5:06 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Tink - I used to tell him that one day his sister would be big enough to take care of herself and to watch out. That day sure came!

Her indoors, he really was a sweet kid and grew into a good hearted soul - but still has the devil in those eyes!

Cazzie! He still has those dimples but left the overalls quite some time ago...

Daddy D - Aunt Ruthie got you back after all of those years even through your own sons! How great is that? I hope she had a chance to enjoy it even vicariously! That's a great story!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does he still give his little sister grief?

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a cutie!

That smile is priceless:-)

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I am the eldest, I'm SURE I never did anything like that to my baby brother! tee hee

2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a doll!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

What sweet children, I think that I have seen that same smile on your son's mom.

4:31 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

He just wanted that baby sister to "rock around the clock"!!

6:18 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

What a stinker :-) I am so glad you caught that moment with film and shared it with us. It brought a smile to my face and a giggle to my belly.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home